"the house" - Manhattan South

The Precincts of the Patrol Borough of Manhattan South

Manhattan South precinct map- pre-1950's
(click map for larger image)

old 1st Precinct at Old Slip
now the New York City Police Museum
photos by Gregor Wenda


old 2nd Pct. at 156 Greenwich Street
opened in 1910, abolished 1918, "closed for lack of business."
in 1927, Precinct 2-A was re-established in the building
later renamed 2nd Pct., abolished in 1951
also used for offices of the Hack Bureau and the Division of Licenses
information and photo courtesy John Reilly, NYPD Retired


old 4th Pct. station house
now the current 1st precinct house

1st Precinct lights at night
photos by Gregor Wenda

5th Precinct on Elizabeth Street in Chinatown
oldest precinct house still in use dating to 1881

5th Precinct lights
photos by Gregor Wenda

old 6th Precinct station house on Charles Street - 2005
Dan Russo Jr. photo


old 7th Pct. station house
118 Clinton St. at Delancey St.
built to replace the old 13th Pct. at Attorney & Delancey,
opened in 1911, became the 4th Pct. in 1924 and the 7th in 1929
demolished after 1973
information and photo courtesy John Reilly, NYPD Retired


8th Pct. station house (circa 1953)
253 Mercer Street off W. 3rd Street
started out as the 15th Precinct in the 19th century,
became the 16th Precinct in 1898,
finally the 8th Precinct in 1929,
precinct abolished and building demolished in 1958
- information source Det. John Reilly, NYPD Retired


8th Precinct photos courtesy of Brian Merlis
BROOKLYN COLLECTIBLES - (BROOKLYNPIX.com)



old numbering system 8th Precinct station house at 19 Leonard Street - 2002
built 1868, old numbering system precinct abolished 1913, current use - condo
photo by John Reilly, NYPD Retired


location of original 9th Precinct, 79 1st Ave. (before 1912) circa 1939



79 1st Ave. as it looks today,
current 9th Pct. down the street out of photo



9th Precinct as it looked in 1939
a new house is currently under construction at the
same location using the original building facade
courtesy of Andrew Beirne, NYPD "Fighting 9th"


9th Precinct station house
photo by Gregor Wenda


Check out NY COP ONLINE's story on the "new" 9th Precinct station house

Gregor sent these recent (May 2006) photos of
the progress of the reconstruction of the 9th Precinct



old numbering system 10th Precinct station house at 24 MacDougal Street - 1998
old numbering system precinct abolished 1920, current use - condo
photo by John Reilly, NYPD retired


10th Precinct station house, W. 20th St.

10th Precinct station house lights return
photos by Gregor Wenda

A platoon turning out at the
old 12th Precinct station house at 205 Mulberry St.
In 1871 the NYCPD built a House of Detention for Witnesses at
No. 203 Mulberry Street and along side of it at No. 205 Mulberry Street
a new station house for the 14th Pct.The House of Detention
was the holding place for material witnesses who were required
to testify in court but had not been able to make bail.
The witnesses could not be held in cells but lived in large dormitory
rooms and had the right to wander at large within the building.
The average stay was about 15 days. In December of 1915, the House
of Detention was condemned by the NYC Buildings Department and closed.

In 1887 the Pct. became the 10th Pct., in 1898 the 11th Pct.
and then in 1908 the 12th Pct. The following year effective
December 1, 1916, the 12th Pct. was abolished and the building closed.
After the precinct was abolished the police department used
the building as a storehouse. Later it was taken over by
the PD Building and Maintenance Section and used as workshops
and the storage of building supplies.

the old 12th precinct as it looked in 1998
information and photos courtesy of John reilly, NYPD Retired

The old 13th (Union Market) Pct. located at
Sheriff St. and East Houston St. - circa 1897-1898
The upper floors of the old market were converted into a station house
about 1862, but the dormitories were over a live chicken market, resulting
in the officers rest time often being disturbed by the crowing of
roosters. The building was demolished in 1954.
photo courtesty of John Reilly, NYPD Retired


old 13th Precinct station house, 130 Sherriff St. circa 1940
courtesy of Andrew Beirne, NYPD


old 13th Precinct station house on E. 22nd Street - 2004
Dan Russo Jr. photo


old 14th Precinct station house on W. 30th Street - 2005
Dan Russo Jr. photo


Gregor Wenda sent in these photos of the old 14th Precinct station house
currently being used by the Manhattan Traffic Task Force








Muster photo of the old 23rd Precinct on West 30th Street built in 1908 - circa 1912.
The Sgt. standing in front of the men would have been Sgt. Lawrence Patterson
who was a Medal of Honor winner in 1899. Later the precinct became
the 14th Pct. Today the building is Manhattan Safety Headquarters.
photo courtesy of John Reilly, NYPD, retired


old 15th Precinct Station House on E. 35th Street - circa 1950
photo courtesy Kevin Reynolds, NYPD ESU


old 15th Precinct Station House on E. 35th Street - 2004
Dan Russo Jr. photo


Old station house on W. 37th Street
This building served as the 20th, 22nd and
a Women's Precinct sometime prior to 1923
after which it became the "Sheriff's Civil Jail"
which it probably was in 1939 when
this photo was taken (note bars)
-information from the records of John Reilly, NYPD, retired
-photo submitted by Rich Flaherty, NYPD


old 17th Precinct Station House on E. 51st Street - 1939


)Old W. 47th Street station house in 1939
This building served as the 18th Precinct from 1929 to 1940
as Traffic D from 1940 to 1947
and as the 16th Precinct from 1947 to 1968
-submitted by Rich Flaherty, NYPD


old 18th Precinct station house on W. 54th Street
now known as the Midtown North precinct
photos by Gregor Wenda

Note: an interior courtyard was the headquarters of the
Emergency Service Division before the 1970's and
the exterior of the building was used as the
fictional 65th Precinct for television's "Naked City"

 
POLICE N.Y.
        Home Page     Site Map     What's New Page
 
Continue tour of POLICE N.Y.